Friday, May 15, 2009

St. Isidore the Farmer

I think of this saint often, especially when I realize I have so much to do, that there is no way it will all get done. I used to fall into the mindset on a busy day that, if I skip daily Mass, or don't stop to pray for a moment, I will have extra time to catch up around here; only to be let down. We must remember God takes care of those who put him first! St. Isidore understood this and has taught me a great lesson - when our priorities are straight, everything else falls into place. St Isidore was a hard worker, and excellent example of sanctifying our daily duties! He plowed, and planted and prayed and he called on Mary, the saints and angels to help him turn his ordinary day into a joyful one. He truly lived his faith in his work, and God did not let him down; He sent Isidore extra help. All I can say is, I want to be like that! (I'll take all the extra help I can get ;) )

St. Isidore, help me to always put prayer first and carry it through my day of monotonous work, so that I too may be joyful in my duties. Teach me to unite my prayer to hard work and care for the poor placed in my life, so that they will no longer be inferior, but I.

Jesus, Himself, also gives us this example in the Washing of the Feet of His disciples. He made himself a lowly servant, taking care of the needs of others, through dirt, ugliness and pain. We are not our own, but we come from the Father to do His will - most especially when we don't want to.


1 comment:

  1. Maria, I love St. Isidore for the same reason. I am so humbled by the fact that he walked to mass daily and still got his work done. It reminds me that in putting God first he will not abandon me. I am much more useful when I focus on Him first! Much love, Tina

    ReplyDelete