Friday, May 8, 2009

FLU-For Love Unveiled

FLU - For Love Unveiled!

I was pretty achy on Monday- I chalked it up to Communion preparation and celebration.
So please let me back track quick:

1st Communion: It was glorious!
The kids' faces beamed with beauty!
Even Michael's!

Gina was attentive as ever. I bet you would never guess what she noticed: "Mom, all those girls are princesses! Where's my princess dress? They are beautiful!" and later, "Mom, that princess girl has sparkle earrings. I love um!" She continued to notice all the ladies around us wearing earrings. She's been on an earring fetish lately. I don't know about a 2 year old trying to convince her parents to let her wear earrings. She will have to wait, but some days I get really close to giving in! (She is our princess among the 5 boys-we all have a soft spot for her, but the older girls had to wait until the winter before they received our Lord to have their ears pierced.)

Also heard among the nephews watching attentively, "Why did all those boys and girls get married?" You know, they are not too far off with their observation! Through the consummation of the Eucharist, they all became united to our Lord! No wonder their faces all shine with glory!

I love the sacrament of Holy Communion. Something changes: bread and wine into the body and blood, soul and divinity of Christ; and then upon reception, humanity into the likeness of Christ. I am so grateful for this gift! Christ Himself sustains us and transforms us if we let Him.

Ok, back to Monday. By evening I was dragging, and was in bed by 9 (at least 2 hours earlier than usual). I slept a little, and ached a lot. I began to think that this might be a bug and not just pain from over doing it (like that ever happens ;) ). Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday morning, I had a fever. (Hubby said I was hot Mon. night, but I was too stubborn to admit that I was sick and take my temp.) My weak body hung out on the couch for a few days, directing traffic in between short naps. Thursday night I turned the corner. After we all got dishes cleaned up, Daniel went to sit on the couch that I had been occupying all week, but immediately got up and said, "Sorry Mom, I will get up so you can lay down here, because I know you're still sick." How sweet is that. My husband and the kids all came through with help; a couple of them needed more encouragement than others, but they did it! I'm proud of them! They made dinner, (Thank God for party leftovers!) got little kids to bed, and helped immensely. The FLU made me rest, but it was a joyous rest amidst the frustration of not being able to do what I wanted, when I wanted and how I wanted it done. This FLU made me put aside my selfish ways and hold my tongue as I painfully watched things get done in a manner different than I would do. (The couple times I tried to get up, I found myself landed back on the couch in a matter of 5 minutes.) Love was Uncovered! I got to witness love, and genuine help was unveiled before my eyes!

Today I can say I'm better. My hubby and kids are relieved: That means I'm back to work! My time on the couch, though at times was frustrating, was well spent. God knew I needed to relax, in mind and spirit. I was happy to relax, and still do my part-surrendering my will for the good of others.

I remember the quote by Blessed Mother Teresa, "We are at Jesus' disposal. If He wants you to be sick in bed, if He wants you to proclaim His work on the street, if He wants you to clean the toilets all day, that's all right, everything is all right. We must say, 'I belong to You. You can do whatever you like.' And this is our strength and this is the joy of the Lord."

I'm still working on the "You can do whatever you like with me." I say it, but don't always mean it. It is getting better, though. And with cooperation, there is always Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment