Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Fishing Trip

What a glorious day!
A fishing we will go, a fishin' we will go. Hi ho the dairy-o, a fishin we will go!

Trip #1: We arrive at the park containing Yellow Belly Pond - the gate is closed.
"Go around it Mom!" I could hear being shouted from the back of the extended van. The temptation was there, thank God I drive a bus. If we would have attempted, some serious damage would have been done! And the obvious, 'It's just wrong!' On to plan B!

Trip #2: The next lake we visit is open. Yeah! We unload: kids, dog, poles, nets...
"Um Mom, I think I left the bait at home. I know I had it."
I think to myself, I wonder if we can catch any fish without bait?
Luke pipes up, "Oh Mom, I have a fake worm somewhere in the van! Remember when I found the one in the parking lot!" (about 2 months ago)
Sure enough, he did! He cut it so 2 poles could have bait.

Lesson: "It's good I didn't take care of that yet, huh mom!" sigh...

Trip #3: Michael and Gabrielle are tending the poles. Luke goes off with a net. Gina is splashing in all the mucky mud, along with John. Vincent - not so happy. The dog isn't sure where to go - he gets the leash tangled up with Vincent. Vincent trips - splat in a mud puddle.

A fair amount of time has passed.
What have we caught so far? A root, some moss.
What have we seen? birds, geese, a muskrat, MUD.

The little troops are now getting restless. Gabrielle runs to the van. Unknowingly to me, she did bring bait with her. Kid bait! Sour gummy worms.
"Anyone who doesn't fuss can have a worm!" She states cheerfully.
Daniel takes his worm. "Mom, can I put this on a pole so I can catch some fish?"
"Sure!" It will amuse him for a while! ;)
Luke comes running back from his netting adventure with his hand around something.
"What-cha got Luke?" (it had to be better than the stringy moss we caught!)
"A little bullfrog!" he excitedly states.
Yes, it will come make a new home in our pond. I haven't mentioned yet that we run a wild animal "vacation" center in our home and backyard. Vacation for us = foster care for them.

Trip #4: We're heading home!
New to foster care: 1 bull frog and 1 tadpole.
Treasures: another fishing bucket, Refreshed Hearts

Psalm 23: The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. you prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.





No comments:

Post a Comment